| Call 1998
| Solicitor 1988
Experience and Expertise
Clive regularly appears both for and against local planning authorities at s. 78 planning appeals (public inquiry and hearings) and s. 174 enforcement notice appeals. He has appeared in s. 187B injunction cases and cases involving direct action. Additionally, he has appeared in ss. 288 and 289 challenges in the High Court (Planning Ct.) and judicial review challenges. In relation to planning prosecutions he has represented parties at Crown Court trials in cases concerning listed buildings and buildings in conservation areas and done cases involving confiscation orders following s. 179 offences.
Recent examples of Clive’s non-litigious work include:
- Drafting and advising on the terms of a s. 106 planning obligation – affordable housing provision and CIL.
- Advising on variation of a grant of planning permission.
- Advising Brentwood BC concerning localism, assets of community value and the community right to bid.
- Advising architect and niche house builder concerning permitted development rights.
- Advising on listed buildings legislation – conversion of a listed barn.
- Advising residents’ group concerning challenge to a grant of planning permission – property in Bow.
- Advising purchasers of land in Cambridgeshire about a CLEUD application.
- Advising resident objectors to application for planning permission for neighbouring land in Hertfordshire and Essex.
- Advising Kensington LBC concerning application for planning permission – basement excavation.
Recent other litigated cases include:
- Reynolds v. Gilfillan (2015) high hedges appeal in Carleon, Newport (direct public access).
- Basingstoke & Deane BC v. Persons Unknown (2014) s. 187B injunction – threatened breach of planning control (instructed by Basingstoke & Deane BC legal dept.)
- Chichester DC v. Satturley (2014) representing defendant in successful appeals against 2 planning enforcement notices (instructed by Jupp Planning Consultants).