Douglas was called to the Bar in 1997, having previously been a tax partner with Price Waterhouse specialising in international tax planning and now has over 40 years’ experience both in tax planning and dispute resolution.
Experience and Expertise
His practice encompasses the whole range of UK direct and indirect taxes for companies and individuals as well as the interaction with overseas jurisdictions. He is used to working with other counsel on matters where a multidisciplinary approach is necessary and appropriate, and is regularly instructed by solicitors, accountants and other professionals as well as accepting Public Access instructions.
The changing tax landscape and HMRC’s focus on tax avoidance has meant that his practice deals primarily with disputed transactions which are already under investigation and where litigation is probable although not inevitable. He takes a holistic approach and favours mediation to litigation where appropriate.
Among areas in which he has expertise are:
- Minimising tax liabilities by the use of appropriate corporate and trust arrangements
- Planning for the tax consequences of the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union
- Rationalising outdated complex arrangements
- Simplifying decision-making
- The construction and interpretation of double taxation conventions
- Tax effective document drafting
- Transfer pricing enquiries
- Effective handling of Disputes with and between Revenue authorities
- Management and control of offshore vehicles (tax residence)
- Investment in UK property by non residents and in non UK property
- The limits of acceptable tax planning
- International asset protection
- Exploitation of intellectual property rights
- Residence and domicile issues under the more tightly defined regime
- The Common Reporting Standard and information gathering and exchange by Revenue authorities
- Disclosures by third parties eg the Panama Papers and the Paradise Papers and how to manage them
MA (Oxon) FCA
He is a member of the Chancery Bar Association, the Revenue Bar Association and the International Fiscal Association
Read Douglas’ Privacy Notice, Data Protection Policy and Disposal Policy.