Edward was called to the Bar in 2004. He initially had a common law practice taking on a wide variety of criminal and civil work before specialising in Chancery and commercial litigation. He joined Radcliffe Chambers in 2009. He is described in Chambers UK as “very thorough in his research” and as having “great commercial awareness”.
Experience and Expertise
Edward was a scholar at Magdalene College, Cambridge between 1999 and 2002, taking a triple first class MA in Law. He then studied at Oriel College, Oxford, for the BCL between 2002 and 2003 which he passed with distinction. During his Bar Vocational Course in 2003-4 he supervised Land Law at Magdalene and Wolfson Colleges, Cambridge. He was called to the Bar in November 2004 by the Middle Temple. He joined Radcliffe Chambers in 2009.
Edward has benefited from extensive advocacy experience gained in the course of the criminal and civil work he undertook in his early career as a common law practitioner. He now specialises in private client and commercial litigation and he regularly appears in multi-track trials and has wide experience of mediations. He also undertakes a wide range of non-contentious chancery work.
Cases and Work of Note
- Log Book Loans Ltd & Nine Regions Ltd v Office of Fair Trading (CCA/2009/0010 and CCA/2009/0011);
- R (on the application of Tallington Lakes Ltd) v Grantham Magistrates Court (Queen’s Bench Division, 24th February 2011);
- Tallington Lakes Ltd v Grantham Magistrates’ Court  RA 179;
- R (on the application of Marshman) v Waverley BC  EWHC 412 (Admin).
Edward is ranked as an “up and coming" junior by the 2013 edition of Chambers UK, being described as “very thorough in his research” and as having “great commercial awareness”.
- "His attention to detail is exceptional, he leaves no stone unturned." (Real Estate Litigation: Chambers UK 2018)
- "Has detailed legal knowledge and can deal with the most complex of matters. He give superb opinions and advice in conference and has a very commercial mind." (Chancery: Traditional, Chambers UK 2018)
- "Diligent, conscientious, experienced and a very impressive advocate, who always goes the extra mile." (Property Litigation, The Legal 500, 2017)
- “Easy to work with and good with clients.” (Real Estate Litigation, Chambers UK, 2017)
- “Ed is great. He is very knowledgeable and I completely trust that what he’s saying is true. He is clear and articulate in court, and professional but lovely with it.” (Real Estate Litigation, Chambers UK, 2017)
- "Commercial, decisive and thorough, with a wonderful degree of empathy." (Property litigation, The Legal 500, 2016)
- The Legal 500 recommends him as "a very promising junior", praising both his non-contentious drafting and advocacy skills.
Recent seminars include:
- “Protecting Gifts From Challenge” (2010);
- “Problems in Trusts, Estates and Court of Protection Litigation” (2011);
- “Challenges to the Validity of Wills” (2011);
- “A Practical Approach to Risk Management in Trusts and Estates Disputes” (2012).
MA Cantab (triple 1st Class)
BCL Oxon (distinction)
On a Personal Note
Edward is married and has a young son born in 2011. In his spare time he enjoys hiking, cooking and reading historical fiction.
Chancery Bar Association.
Vat Registration Number: 876861761
Bar Membership Number: 47814
For More Information
Please click on the links to the left or contact a member of the clerking team.