| Call 2002
Frances has a busy Chancery practice, with a particular focus on property; probate and administration of estates and pensions. She regularly appears in the High Court, the county courts and the specialist tribunals and has represented clients in the Court of Appeal.
Experience and Expertise
Frances’ practice covers a broad range of traditional Chancery and commercial work. She has considerable experience in the areas of property; trusts; probate and administration of estates and pensions. In addition she undertakes professional negligence work in the areas in which she practises.
She is frequently instructed in interim and final applications, appeals, and witness actions and has acted in a number of lengthy trials, both as sole counsel and with a silk. Her non-contentious work involves advising and drafting for an extensive client base, from multinational companies to private individuals.
In appropriate cases, she accepts instructions directly from members of the public under the Public Access scheme.
Cases of Note
- Hughes v Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Ltd  Pens. L.R. 69
- Danvers v HMRC  Pens. L.R. 49
- Hugh Mackay Retirement Benefits Scheme (Determinations Panel of the Pensions Regulator, October 2011)
- Strydom v Fowler (Legal Action February 2011)
- Mortgage Express v Butcher (LL & T Review 2010)
- DP Dental Laboratory Retirement Benefits Scheme (Determinations Panel of the Pensions Regulator, 2009)
- Banfield v Leeds Building Society  EWCA Civ 1369.
Frances has repeatedly been recommended in The Legal 500 for pensions with editorial comment including:
- "Bright and personable." 2016
- the quality of her drafting cannot be faulted;
- technically very good;
- a very thorough advocate;
- approachable and hardworking
- bright and personable.
- Deputy Editor, Civil Court News (LexisNexis Butterworths)
- The right of a receiver to recover possession of mortgaged property (Lexology, 10.11.14)
- Wills & probate: Cost neutral? (NLJ Vol 159 (7387) 1355)
- Multiple Agreements: The Minefield Made Clear (SJ Vol 151 No 17 p 557)
- Donna-Marie Hughes v Royal London and recent developments with pension scams
- The Annual Association of Pension Lawyers Case Law Update (2015)
- The Annual North East Association of Pension Lawyers Case Law Update (July 2013)
- Age Discrimination and Pensions (NW Assocation of Pension Lawyers Training Session)
- Current Hot Topics in Probate
- Mediation in resolving estates disputes
- Adverse possession and criminality: the case of the builder and the crime
- Easements: Problems and Possibilities
- Sale and Leaseback (CPDcast podcast)
- The impact of insolvency on defending professional negligence claims
LLB (Exon.) First Class Honours.
BVC (Inns of Court School of Law)
Hardwicke Scholar of Lincoln's Inn
Frances is a member of the Chancery Bar Association; the Property Bar Association and an associate member of the Association of Pension Lawyers.
VAT Registration Number: 843735218
Bar Membership Number: 44702
For More Information
Please click on the links to the left or contact a member of the clerking team