| Call 2000
Profile: Professional Liability
Gary is experienced in dealing with claims against professionals in the full range of non-clinical disciplines, including solicitors, barristers, accountants, tax advisors, valuers, architects, engineers and financial professionals. By their nature many professional negligence claims settle before trial, often in mediations. He has an impressive track record of negotiating favourable settlements on behalf of his clients with insurers and their representatives, even in the most difficult cases. The Legal 500 recommends Gary as a leading junior for professional negligence.
Cases and Work of Note
- Acting for a Claimant solicitor against a firm of solicitors and a barrister in a claim for loss of profits of her new firm arising out of advice given at Court to settle earlier partnership proceedings and the terms of that settlement.
- Acting for Claimant high net worth individuals in respect of a claim against brokers for advice as to investments into AIM listed shares
- Acting in numerous claims against solicitors for a major high street lender in respect of lending on flats without planning permission
- Acted on a claim against insolvency practitioners, solicitors and leading counsel for advice relating to settlement of an earlier professional negligence dispute
- Claim against accountants and insolvency practitioners in respect of personal tax liabilities arising out of advice on corporate insolvency and the structuring of that insolvency.
- Acted for a property developer against solicitors in a claim arising out of failure to advise on the existence of a ransom strip preventing a multi-million pound development taking place.
- Acted for a Defendant firm of FSA registered financial advisors in a claim brought against them in respect of the actions and advice of a rogue employee, involving difficult vicarious liability issues
- Acting for the Claimants in a claim against one of the ‘big 4’ accountants relating to the sale of off-shore tax planning schemes
- Acted for a major high street lender in a claim against solicitors arising out of a failed property development venture worth £29M
- Acted on behalf of a wealthy but inexperienced investor against an FSA regulated financial services provider in negligence and under the FSA Handbook for losses in the CFD market arising out of the financial crisis