| Call 2002
Experience and Expertise
Martin has considerable experience of insolvency before the County and High Courts in England and in the Supreme Court of Bermuda and is willing to accept instructions in relation to a whole range of applications concerning corporate or personal insolvency be they related to administration, petitions or injunctions. He has acted for and advised insolvency practitioners and debtors from a variety of backgrounds.
He is experienced in cross-border matters and has worked alongside legal advisers and expert advisors from different jurisdictions, including the top firms in London, New York, Singapore and Hong Kong. This gives him a valuable understanding of the conduct and strategy of litigation in those other jurisdictions and an appreciation of the challenges facing clients and their foreign advisors. Further details of the nature of cases with international elements can be found in the links to the other practice areas.
- advising and representing (as junior counsel) the foreign representative of proceedings in respect of a Caribbean property development company recognised under the Cross-Border Insolvency Regulations 2006 in relation to proceedings on foot before the High Court.
- acting in Bermuda for a consortium of European banks in their enforcement of US$74 million in loans outstanding under a facility with a Bermuda company, secured by intellectual property rights in films and leading to the appointment of joint provisional liquidators and proceedings under Chapters 15, and then Chapter 11, of the US Bankruptcy Code.
- acting in Bermuda for the liquidators of a substantial fund involving major US bank counterparties and advising in relation to their administration of the estate including the implementation of a Scheme of Arrangement, the avoidance of transactions and the adjudication of claims governed by ISDA documentation.
- advising a supplier to a company in administration as to its repurchase option with a manufacturer in relation to equipment which had been leased to the company
- advising a supplier as to its rights to injunctive relief against a bottling company in liquidation in relation to their retention of title agreement.
- advice and representation in relation to the determination of beneficial interests in property.
- advice on transaction avoidance issues.