| Call 1977
Profile: Partnership and Joint Ventures
Experience and Expertise
Stephen’s expertise in this area developed from his early years at the Bar. As a company law specialist, he soon ventured into the neighbouring field of partnership law and indeed, in his early years of lecturing at Holborn Law Tutors, the course which he lectured was a combined Company Law and Partnership course.
Since then, Stephen has acted on numerous partnership disputes. These have normally involved dissolution proceedings, or threats to issue such proceedings. Particular issues in more recent years have included the following:
- method of dissolution of a professional partnership with two practices which could not be sold and in respect of which the partners could not agree terms of dissolution;
- whether jointly owned property was held on terms of a partnership or on terms for a purpose which had not expired;
- whether claims by a former partner were statute-barred;
- whether property was partnership property;
- dispute over buyout terms on resignation of a partner;
- dispute relating to firm of accountants as to entitlement to further profits on continued partnership business by a former partner and claims against the former partner;
- account of post-dissolution profits;
- dispute as to whether occupiers had been accepted as tenants, and over what premises.
- Stephen has also acted and advised in respect of a number of different types of joint ventures.