Experience and Expertise
Tom has worked on a large number of contentious cases involving the running of companies and related areas of law. These have included matters concerning the internal running of businesses but also claims against directors, claims between shareholders, and disputes with former/current employees.
Cases and Work of Note
- Advising a corporate investor from Asia in a shareholder dispute regarding a business that supplies new technology to the telecoms sector and allegations of fraud against the founding shareholders.
- Advising a shareholder in a deadlock situation about steps that could be taken against an unreasonable co-shareholder and director. The latter was refusing to agree a debt restructuring that was necessary to keep a valuable property development going and therefore to keep the company afloat.
- Acting for the main shareholder of a company (solicitors) and a related property management partnership in a dispute concerning what assets should be distributed to which persons on the dissolution of that partnership and the departure of one solicitor shareholder from the company.
- Acting for a company and its shareholders in a dispute with a third party who claimed an entitlement to shares and asserted a partnership relationship concerning a property development.
- Advising the wife and personal representative of a deceased shareholder regarding the effect of pre-emption provisions in the company’s articles of association and how shares should be valued.
- Acting in a dispute about the legitimacy of a share transfer and the suitability of seeking relief under the summary procedure provided for in s125 of the Companies Act 2006.
- Advising on possible grounds of challenge and appeal against an arbitrator’s award concerning various claims brought by an LLP (surveyors) against a former member, regarding diverted opportunities in the Middle East and various breaches of duty.
- Various examples of applying for urgent injunctions on behalf of companies against directors/employees to protect confidential information, to obtain springboard relief, and to enforce restrictive covenants.