| Call 2000
Gary Lidington specialises in all aspects of commercial litigation, as well as professional negligence, property, company and insolvency and banking work. He has a special interest in civil fraud and oil and gas disputes, and is experienced in international arbitration and multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Experience and Expertise
Gary worked as a management consultant before coming to the Bar. He specialises in all aspects of commercial litigation, both in the Courts and arbitral forums. His practice also includes professional negligence, company, property, insolvency, and banking disputes.
He is noted for his client-focused and results-oriented approach to his work. His is practical, commercially-minded, tactically astute and equally comfortable working as part of a large team or on his own. Gary frequently appears against practitioners considerably his senior with an ability to think one step ahead of the opposition whether in Court or in settlement negotiations. He has carved himself out a reputation for turning around cases in which he has been introduced at later stages in the litigation.
Gary is recommended as a leading junior for commercial dispute resolution by Chambers UK and for Professional Negligence and Property litigation by Legal 500. Recent testimonials highlight:
- “He gives pragmatic and practical advice in a sensible, client-friendly way.” (Commercial Dispute Resolution, Chambers UK, 2017)
- “He is commercial and businesslike in his outlook.” (Commercial Dispute Resolution, Chambers UK, 2017)
- "Responsive and hardworking." (Professional negligence, The Legal 500, 2016)
- "He provides excellent knowledge of the law and brilliant analytical capability." (Property litigation, The Legal 500, 2016)
- "Thorough, approachable and good at managing expectations." (Commercial Dispute Resolution, Chambers UK, 2016)
- "Analysis is excellent and he has persuasive command of the material." (Commercial Dispute Resolution, Chambers UK, 2016)
- Recognised for his broad commercial practice and particularly his real estate litigation expertise. Sources praise him for his client skills and his approachable manner. Expertise: "He's practical and very good with the client." (Commercial dispute resolution, Chambers UK, 2015)
- "Definitely one to watch." (Professional Negligence, The Legal 500, 2015)
- "Very thorough, very analytical and very knowledgeable, both in law and procedure." (Property litigation, The Legal 500, 2015)
- An experienced and well-rounded property lawyer, who is renowned for his commercial approach. He is particularly sought after for his skill in handling property disputes with fraud or insolvency aspects. Recent work: Acted successfully for the mortgagee in a claim for possession of a high-value development property. (Real Estate litigation, Chambers UK, 2015)
- "Identifies a clear and logical strategy towards attaining the best outcome possible." (Professional negligence, The Legal 500, 2014)
- Maintains a strong international element to his practice, as is evidenced by his recent work highlights. His commercial dispute workload includes a focus on fraud-related matters. Expertise: "Intellectual and adept at mastering voluminous instructions, he cuts to the real issues and deals rigorously with the arguments in a case." Recent work: he represented the respondent in Fundicion Nodular SA v Orchard (Developments) Ltd, an appeal involving matters such as the jurisdiction of powers of attorney in England and Spain. (Commercial Dispute Resolution, Chambers UK, 2014)
- Valued by solicitors for his expertise in the crossover between fraud, insolvency and property disputes. His practice has an emphasis on landlord and tenant matters and residential property controversies. Expertise: "Diligent, robust and user-friendly." "His analytical ability is amazing, and he does not leave a stone unturned." Recent work: he recently appeared in a complex proprietorial dispute concerning several buildings in Hampstead, defending the client against allegations of fraud brought by members of the defendant's family. (Real Estate Litigation, Chambers UK, 2014)
- The "highly impressive" Gary Lidington, who is possessed of "a fast mind, displays excellent attention to detail", and is skilled at communicating complicated concepts to lay clients. Solicitors favour him as he is "intellectual, adept at mastering voluminous instructions, and capable of dealing with a case rigorously". (Commercial Dispute Resolution, Chambers UK, 2013)
- Gary Lidington impressed observers when he acted for the respondent in Bank of Scotland v Pereira & Pain in the Court of Appeal, a case involving the procedure to be followed if the challenging party does not appear in court. Interviewees highlight his "very fast mind and excellent attention to detail" as well as his "ability to get complicated concepts over to the lay client". (Real Estate Litigation, Chambers UK, 2013)
- Gary Lidington is "diligent, robust and user-friendly". His property practice encompasses mortgage work, easements, restrictive covenants, trusts of land and boundary disputes. (Real Estate Litigation, Chambers UK, 2012)