Banking and financial services
We are recognised for our expertise in litigation, drafting and advisory work relating to commercial and retail banking and financial services.
Our clients include banks, building societies, hedge funds, institutional investors, regulators and consumers. Our expertise extends to transactional and advisory matters relating to financial products and instruments, as well as banking and finance litigation.
We also provide advice and advocacy in relation to a range of regulatory matters, including court proceedings in which regulatory issues arise, Tribunal cases, FCA enforcement and disciplinary proceedings and representations in Ombudsman cases with wider implications. We also deal with perimeter cases in which an issue has arisen as to whether an activity falls within the regulatory regime.
In addition, we are a leading barristers’ chambers for consumer credit law and advise on a wide range of consumer credit issues, including unfair relationship claims.
Radcliffe Chambers has vast experience in real estate legal matters. Past cases in this area include:
- Acting in a widely reported case concerning the validation order in relation to a £47 million consumer credit loan portfolio brokered by an unauthorised credit broker, which is the leading case on the relevance of consumer detriment to such orders.
- Representing the investors in a multi-party action against Yorkshire Bank on a claim arising out of the Arck LLP fraud.
- Advising a number of international capital market participants including arrangers, servicers, special servicers, managers, swap providers, swap counterparties, prime brokers and monoline insurers in relation to the UK aspects of wholesale debt issuances covering cash, synthetic and arbitrage structures including CDOs, CBOs, CMBS, RMBS and MTN Programmes offered to qualified investors and investment professionals across the EU Retail.
Our Banking and Financial Barristers
Our barristers are ranked by both Chambers UK Bar and The Legal 500 UK Bar. A number of them started their careers in the financial services sector, before qualifying as barristers, adding an extra dimension to their experience and understanding.
Members of our team edit the leading textbook on building society law, Wurtzburg and Mills, and have acted as contributing editors of The Law of Investor Protection, 2nd edition, and as contributing editors to the section on Mutual Institutions in the current (fifth) edition of Halsbury’s Laws of England and the section on Friendly Societies in the preceding (fourth) edition of Halsbury’s Laws of England (2007 reissue). Elizabeth Ovey and Mark Fell are the authors of Retail Mortgages: Law, Regulation and Procedure, published by Sweet & Maxwell.
Please click below to view members of our team:
- Banking disputes
- Building societies
- Consumer credit
- Disciplinary proceedings
- FCA enforcement
- Financial services disputes
- Hedge funds
- Ombudsman cases
- Regulatory advice and disputes
- Retail banking disputes
- Transactional advice
- Unfair relationship claims